CUSTOM GRAPHICS DEMO
Our Two Graphical Options
For these two techniques, separation of colors is essential. To obtain the best quality in screen printing, certain criteria must be respected. You have the choice of producing your graphic as PMS or CMYK and supply us with your artwork on a computer file format. The file will then be carefully place on guide lines that respect the shape and size of your board to produce the film. Please note that additional expenses will be charged if the artwork does not follow our guidelines.
FOR MOST DECK ORDERS (PLEASE USE OUR TEMPLATES (EITHER PMS OR CMYK) IN THE RIGHT DECK SIZE TO MAKE SURE YOUR ARTWORK IS PROCESSED SEAMLESSLY. SIMPLY CONTACT SALES STAFF email@example.com . IF YOU WANT THE SAME GRAPHIC PUT ON DIFFERENT BOARDS, USE THE SMALLEST TEMPLATE TO ENSURE YOUR GRAPHIC WILL FIT ALL YOUR BOARDS.
ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR FILE NAME IS THE SAME AS THE ONE ON THE DOCUMENT WE SENT YOU TO MAKE SURE YOUR GET THE RIGHT GRAPH ON THE RIGHT BOARD.
Please also make sure to indicate the nose and the tail of your board. If you do not give these instructions, we will position text going the length of the board from tail to nose and text going the width of the board to read when the tail in pointing down.
1. Flat color printing (PMS) Pantone matching system (For solid color artwork)
The separations of flat colors (PMS) is a process that consists of isolating one layer of color after the other. Thus, layers will be overlaid one after the other until the final image is obtained. Colors must be chosen with the Pantone coated color swatch. Artwork files must be on Illustrator 8.0 (Macintosh, PC) or lower version.
How to do it
- Determine each color that needs to be reproduced on a specific layer. So each color will have a layer.
- To outline the forms in the graphic, use « PEN TOOL » to create clean path
- The outline must be simplified to its fullest.
- Thickness of the outline must be at least 2 pt.
- Colors fades are accepted but at your risk
- Typography (all fonts ) must be saved as « Outline ».
- No special filter or effect, all shape and line should be made out from clean visible path.
- Select only Pantone Coated color. CYMK or RGB cannot be on the file.
- Save file as Illustrator EPS version CS2 (MAC/PC) in 35’’ X 10’’ document size, images imbedded, no transparency with PMS solid color artwork, send all support images used if there is.
Make sure you include a PMS color guide letting us know which layer with color (including PMS number). (This is part of our template) For transparent colors (if you want to see the wood, please create a layer a mark it as “transparent” to make sure it is not confused with white.) Failure to include a clear color guide can result in confusion that can lead to mistakes.
2. Four color process (CYMK)
4 color process is a « photomechanical » process of separation of colors. Each color is separated into composites of the 4 base colors ( yellow, magenta, cyan, black ). YOU CANOT DO COLOR WAY CHANGES USING THIS TYPE OF GRAPHIC FORMAT.
How to do it
- If you are using vector software such as Illustrator to create a CMYK 4 color process artwork, make sure all color are made from CMYK color table.
- Transparency and gradient are accepted in CMYK color table only
- Screen printing is a limited process in terms of printing. So the choice of the image is very crucial. It needs to be well calibrated and a variety of tones. Don’t use under or over exposed images. Don’t forget to adjust the « levels » and « curves » in Adobe Photoshop.
- Save file as Photoshop EPS version 3.0 or higher (MAC/PC) in 35’’ X 10’’ document size, CMYK color table, minimum 300dpi resolution in final size all layers flattened.
Common mistakes to avoid
- Artwork size needs to be according to board size and allow for bleed.
- If you are working in a PMS document, the fonts need to be outlined.
- In a PMS document, 1 layer must represent 1 color. (i.e. 4 colors = 4 layers)
- There should be no CMYK or RGB colors in a PMS file.
- All PMS or flat color must be saved in illustrator in .eps format
- For four color process, the right resolution is very important. (Minimum 300 Dpi in the right size. See above) Don’t use under or over exposed images. Don’t forget to adjust the « levels » and « curves » in Adobe Photoshop.